Students will receive an illustrated biography of Yogi Berra (click here to download) that will serve as background for this lesson. It will include information relating to Berra’s life in sports. After reading the biography, students should answer the below questions in preparation for the unit.
Questions for Students:
- Who in Yogi’s family was the first to come to the United States? When was that arrival?
- What was the point of entry for the Berra family members and many other immigrants coming to the United States from Europe and elsewhere? What do you know about that place?
- What kind of community did the Berra family settle into in St. Louis?
- In what ways was baseball a way to succeed in the United States?
- Did Yogi Berra face any particular challenges as an Italian American in mid-century America?
- What do you find admirable about Yogi Berra as an individual?